Monday, December 24, 2012

I Suck at Fe...

So, I just finished wrapping my husband's gifts:


I'm not sure if you can tell by this picture, but I'm terrible at wrapping presents. It's very haphazard. Hopefully, I'm better at selecting gifts than I am at wrapping them. I know that a couple of gifts are things he wanted but some of them might be a bit too...dorky. (And he's an ENTP in the IT industry. :P) We'll see. I was raised in a "fanboy" household, where obsession about all things sci-fi and superheroes was the norm. I developed more of a fascination for the supernatural myself. (This was my favorite comic book as a kid, for example.) None of this, of course, has to do with Extraverted Feeling. After all, I've known my share of ISFJ fan girls. What is Extraverted Feeling, though, is knowing what the other person wants. Is it exactly right? Will they love it? Hate it? Is it too dorky? Not dorky enough? Yeah, see, I suck at that.

Even more than that, though, I suck at knowing what will and will not offend people. I only experience this neurotically, where I'm not quite sure, and I can really miss the mark--being concerned about things I don't need to be concerned about only to completely step in it and do something that completely pisses the person off where (if I can even figure out what the offense is, which I can't always do) I can't quite figure out what the big deal is. That's not to say that I don't care (I think I'm a lot more concerned about this than my ENTP husband, for example, who seems better at Extraverted Feeling than I am, but only bothers with it in certain types of situations). It just is such a totally different sort of way of thinking than I'm accustomed to. To me, it seems like imposing standards and trying to pressure someone into conformity. This imposition can range from having a negative attitude towards people who see social norms as a bit more optional (or may have trouble seeing them at all) to dictating what really ought to be a matter of choice. (This, of course, is not the case for all FJs, but it is one manifestation of the function.)


No comments: